In recent months, our church has undertaken together to study the topic of eldership and leadership within the church. There are many challenges facing the church as we continue to return back to in-person gatherings and community life that we must prepare for. We desire to be a church that asks the Lord for guidance and participate with God in developing a plan for the body of Christ in these post-pandemic days.
Additionally, our church body is currently studying and evaluating the participation of women in areas of servant leadership. We recognize that God gives gifts to both men and women, and we are prayerfully seeking the Spirit’s guidance in leading our church at this time regarding this decision. We invite you to study along with us. Below, you will find a number of resources for study, reflection, and consideration.
Books/Articles to Read
On Gender Equality:
- Women Serving God by John Mark Hicks
- The Making of Biblical Womanhood by Beth Allison Barr
- The Blue Parakeet by Scot McKnight
Further Resources on Gender Roles and Eldership:
- Half the Church by Carolyn Curtis James
- Malestrom by Carolyn Curtis James
- A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans
- Two Views on Women in Ministry edited by James Beck
- They Smell Like Sheep by Lynn Anderson